Friday, May 15, 2009

Santeria Inspired Mini Flower Arrangement



Flower arrangements doesn't have to be big in order to be decorative, meaningful and cool. I created this little flower arrangement and "shrine" of sorts for my bathroom using just a few flowers and other unusual elements. You can use materials you already have at home and a handful of flowers in order to economize.

Arrangements for your bathroom can be made in a variety of themes: A sunken ship, a beach vacation or a favorite movie (pirates, jaws anyone?). I was loosely inspired by the Santeria belief of "Orishas", or spirits of nature, in this case Yemaja/Olokun. Yemaja is the female aspect of the ocean, she is the great mother and giver of life. Olokun is the male aspect, the mysterious bottom of the ocean - very powerful and at times deadly. To make a similar arrangement you'll need the following materials:

  • A glass or ceramic tray. I'm using a recycled bottle glass tray I got in Mexico City.
  • Smooth pebbles, stones or aquarium gravel
  • Shells, coral, driftwood or any other ocean elements.
  • Flowers, seed pods, twigs, etc.
  • Figurines, folk art or aquarium decorations

I chose a big "pin cushion" flower as my focal point. It reminded me of anemones and other sea life. I cut the flower's stem fairly short and secured it inside a water container using a few stones. I placed the container on one side of the glass tray and gathered a few shells around the container in order to anchor it. I added a few more flowers and fern spirals to create balance.


On the other side of the glass tray I placed a miniature folk art mermaid from Mexico. The mini Poseidon porcelain charm comes from Castle in the Air. I surrounded the figurines with abalone chips and miniature shells. Finally I placed the tray on a shelf in my bathroom. If you don't have space on a shelf you can make a smaller version for a windowsill or even the top of your sink. Have fun!




No comments:

Post a Comment